free hit counter
Are we the only ones? - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Philosophy Wax philosophical...

Old February 10th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future
Default Are we the only ones?

Are we humans the only living things on the planet who.... Know we are going to die?

Have you ever pondered this? - When did you face the reality of your mortality? For me it was at a pretty young age, when my dad had to explain a uncle's obituary to me.

Animals - do they know? Mommas teach their young all the survival skills, but do any of them know death is coming for them someday no matter what they do? They "know" I guess, they can be eaten by predators higher in the food chain than them, and certainly they know what danger is, but do they know they are going to die someday anyway?

Fish? Birds? Bugs?

Are we alone in this?
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Don't Tell Me What To Do

Likes Given: 3
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MJH is on a distinguished road

Humans are the only intelligent species on earth. Animals don't think about things like that. We all have a built-in survival instinct, but humans are the only ones that can override that instinct by committing suicide. Animals don't do that. Animals don't plan ahead. They don't plan for retirement and buy life insurance. But when the time comes, yes. They know. They just don't live their lives worrying about it.
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
Humans are the only intelligent species on earth. Animals don't think about things like that. We all have a built-in survival instinct, but humans are the only ones that can override that instinct by committing suicide. Animals don't do that. Animals don't plan ahead. They don't plan for retirement and buy life insurance. But when the time comes, yes. They know. They just don't live their lives worrying about it.
But.... How do you know what they know and when?

They wouldn't worry about something they know not of.

And yes, they don't erect monuments or statues either, write or paint. They don't create religions. But do they know they will die someday?
Old February 11th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Don't Tell Me What To Do

Likes Given: 3
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MJH is on a distinguished road

It's just instinct, I guess. Like when Salmon swim upstream to spawn and whales swim to a certain area to die.
Old February 11th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
It's just instinct, I guess. Like when Salmon swim upstream to spawn and whales swim to a certain area to die.
They do?

Do they know why?
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Never enough

Likes Given: 360
Liked 229 in 165 Posts
Hawkgirl is on a distinguished road

Wow how weird is this, I was just talking about this very thing the other day.

I also spoke of the fact that we as humans go against that very same nature and actually seek out a child in the supposed comfort and protection of the mothers womb and suck any life that may be abiding.
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
Wow how weird is this, I was just talking about this very thing the other day.

I also spoke of the fact that we as humans go against that very same nature and actually seek out a child in the supposed comfort and protection of the mothers womb and suck any life that may be abiding.
Huh?
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Never enough

Likes Given: 360
Liked 229 in 165 Posts
Hawkgirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Marauder View Post
Huh?
Yeah, I know
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
Yeah, I know
Komerex kai Khestrex?
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Trailer Park Hero
9 Ball Connect Champion 3D Frogger Champion Baseball Champion FogHorn Thanks Champion Ace Driver Champion 2D Knock-Out Champion UNO 3 Champion

Likes Given: 397
Liked 972 in 790 Posts
trlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
We all have a built-in survival instinct, but humans are the only ones that can override that instinct by committing suicide.
One day I was driving up in Bangor Maine. The sun had just set, and I topped the hill and saw a set of eyes in the road up in front of me. At first I thought it was a dog, but as I got closer I realized it was a fox. I never slowed down, because he was a ways ahead of me. He had plenty of time to run, and he was looking right at me. I heard the ting of his skull hitting the bumper, and felt his body come up and whack the underside of the truck. I don't care what anybody says, that fox committed suicide. He was probably married and couldn't take it anymore.

You know what date is on this coin? 1958. It's been traveling 22 years to get here. And now it's here. And it's either heads or tails, and you have to say. Call it.