free hit counter
New Star Trek movie, "Into Darkness" - Page 3 - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Reviews Review and discuss Movies, TV shows... Music... Books...

Old September 15th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Registered Beer User

Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenKoder View Post
You'd think so .... until you factor in budget, special effects limitations ... then add in the mental dialogues ... not to mention the many other undisplayable or inaudible elements ...

... then the production limitations because of any random factors, by the time it gets to screen, it's never like the book. The closest any series has ever been to the books is the Lord of the Rings, and many of the diehard fans whined about the changes they had to make to those. One change, even small, will often cascade to, requiring other changes to keep the film's story from completely falling apart. A film crew has to make the film considering many of the new audience members have never read the books, they can't assume that the audience has or the minor changes made because they have no choice will not fit with other points in the films. A prime example (again in Lord of the Rings) when the "wrong" person said a key line in the film, it was because the back story of why the original person said it was not possible to put into the film, so they chose the "next best" character based on what had been established. The book fans ranted about that little tiny change as if it somehow ruined everything.
One of my most valued possessions is "The making of Star Trek" where Gene Roddenberry himself talks about what works and what does not work in ST and why. I also own a original writer's guide for the series. So I am completely aware of what you're saying and already took it into account long ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsited1 View Post

If reading 70-odd pocket ST novels over 30 years qualifies me as such!
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Humanity Sucks

Likes Given: 174
Liked 270 in 223 Posts
KittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of light

Serious Trekkie is serious!
If you do not understand that humans evolved from a monkey like simian, then do not even talk to me about science, ever.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Registered Beer User

Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Serious Trekkie is serious!
The reason we get such garbage as "Lost" and the "re-imagined" Battlestar Galactica is also the very reason we get nothing at all original or creative out of the entertainment industry anymore.

And it's "Trekker."
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Humanity Sucks

Liked 270 in 223 Posts
KittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Marauder View Post
The reason we get such garbage as "Lost" and the "re-imagined" Battlestar Galactica is also the very reason we get nothing at all original or creative out of the entertainment industry anymore.

And it's "Trekker."
Don't remind me of how low the TV writers have gotten .... and yes I know JJ was responsible for those, that's why I'm a bit unsure of what will happen when he does a Star Trek. I've never been a huge fan of Star Trek but I liked the reboot.
If you do not understand that humans evolved from a monkey like simian, then do not even talk to me about science, ever.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Don't remind me of how low the TV writers have gotten .... and yes I know JJ was responsible for those, that's why I'm a bit unsure of what will happen when he does a Star Trek. I've never been a huge fan of Star Trek but I liked the reboot.
It's a good thing JJ is only directing, not doing any of the writing or producing.

Probably why you liked the "reboot." He had very little influence on the story itself. Hopefully they keep him out of those elements and let him just shoot the picture.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Humanity Sucks

Liked 270 in 223 Posts

Quote:
It's a good thing JJ is only directing, not doing any of the writing or producing.

Probably why you liked the "reboot." He had very little influence on the story itself. Hopefully they keep him out of those elements and let him just shoot the picture.
That seems to be the only good things his name is on, where he doesn't actually write any of it.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Humanity Sucks

Liked 270 in 223 Posts

Also, MM, the old Spock explains that it's like alternative universes, the original timeline still exists, he's just been thrust into this new one. Even if he does find a way back to his original timeline then this new one still exists.
Post liked by
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Agent P

Likes Given: 184
Liked 295 in 211 Posts
xsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

And it's "Trekker."
You're hard-core, dude.

BTW, I've got every Star Trek episode and movie on DVD, including the animated series.

Old September 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Also, MM, the old Spock explains that it's like alternative universes, the original timeline still exists, he's just been thrust into this new one. Even if he does find a way back to his original timeline then this new one still exists.
A new one that should not exist at all.

It exists because he failed to save Romulus in his own timeline, and we're just supposed to accept that he is okay not only with that failure but also the consequences? No way.

It's the same concept used for Back to the Future 2, one mistake skews the timeline into an alternate timeline that shouldn't have existed. Must go back to a point before the skew, in order to fix it. (Nero=Biff, Spock Prime=Doc Brown, )

But of course fixing it doesn't square with the agenda of the tale as they have it, so they must skew and distort the Canon Spock character instead. A minor detail. Perhaps because he is so much older now, he has mellowed and become more liberal, therefore doesn't mind the distortion of space and time near as much as he used to.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsited1 View Post
You're hard-core, dude.

BTW, I've got every Star Trek episode and movie on DVD, including the animated series.

Now if I can just get ya to read the novels we'll be getting somewhere!