free hit counter
New Star Trek movie, "Into Darkness" - Page 2 - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Reviews Review and discuss Movies, TV shows... Music... Books...

Old September 15th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

Likes Given: 12
Liked 14 in 12 Posts
kwc57 is on a distinguished roadkwc57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Marauder View Post
Cheap plot device. Create a alternate universe so we don't have to be creative researchers, don't have any of the old stories getting in the way. Don't have to honor canon.
The whole alternate timeline thing bothered me at first for the same reasons. But on further reflection, it's a good thing. Do we really want them to fall back on rehashing old stories? Wrath of Kahn was arguebly the best of the movies, but it was a play off of an old episode. Do we want to see a remake of Kahn now? I don't. My hope is that they don't fall back on any of the previous stories. Some of the charachters, maybe.....but not a rehash of stories. I wouldn't mind seeing a passing hat tip to Harcourt Fenton Mudd.

Little men with little minds and little imaginations go through life in little ruts, smugly resisting all changes which would jar their little worlds. - Zig Ziglar

There are two types of people in this world: those who leave a mark, and others who just leave a stain.
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Likes Given: 7,681
Liked 2,904 in 2,354 Posts
Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc57 View Post
The whole alternate timeline thing bothered me at first for the same reasons. But on further reflection, it's a good thing. Do we really want them to fall back on rehashing old stories? Wrath of Kahn was arguebly the best of the movies, but it was a play off of an old episode. Do we want to see a remake of Kahn now? I don't. My hope is that they don't fall back on any of the previous stories. Some of the charachters, maybe.....but not a rehash of stories. I wouldn't mind seeing a passing hat tip to Harcourt Fenton Mudd.
They have thousands of stories no one knows about - the pocket books novels for example. There's no need at all to rehash old stories - but this "reboot" actually makes that easier for them to do. They can now retell everything, and just twist it around a little. No creativity or originality needed!

Oh and hell, welcome back! Where the hell have you been?

Skippy - I just KNOW you're not taking anything from TOS season 3 seriously, right? Roddenberry was gone, Justman gone, Gene L. Coon, gone.... the budget, gone and NBC was pulling the plug. The "Spock's Brain" episode was actually penned by Coon, but he was so ashamed of it he used a pseudonym - Lee Cronin - for the credits. Let's not pretend that's actual Star trek.
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Humanity Sucks

Likes Given: 174
Liked 270 in 223 Posts
KittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of light

Actually .... let's not confuse books with TV with movies.

Many things in books do not translate well, if at all, into TV .... and then to movies. People complain about movies "straying from" the books all the time without remembering this. Also, many of the books were rip-offs of other older books. Some were even rip-offs of Lovecraft, some Asimov, more than a few from Shakespear. The Spock's Brain meme is just that ... a meme.
If you do not understand that humans evolved from a monkey like simian, then do not even talk to me about science, ever.
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenKoder View Post
Actually .... let's not confuse books with TV with movies.
Each and every one of the ST novels would make great movies. And they are all original and creative stuff, no rehashes.
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Humanity Sucks

Liked 270 in 223 Posts
KittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Each and every one of the ST novels would make great movies. And they are all original and creative stuff, no rehashes.
You'd think so .... until you factor in budget, special effects limitations ... then add in the mental dialogues ... not to mention the many other undisplayable or inaudible elements ...

... then the production limitations because of any random factors, by the time it gets to screen, it's never like the book. The closest any series has ever been to the books is the Lord of the Rings, and many of the diehard fans whined about the changes they had to make to those. One change, even small, will often cascade to, requiring other changes to keep the film's story from completely falling apart. A film crew has to make the film considering many of the new audience members have never read the books, they can't assume that the audience has or the minor changes made because they have no choice will not fit with other points in the films. A prime example (again in Lord of the Rings) when the "wrong" person said a key line in the film, it was because the back story of why the original person said it was not possible to put into the film, so they chose the "next best" character based on what had been established. The book fans ranted about that little tiny change as if it somehow ruined everything.
If you do not understand that humans evolved from a monkey like simian, then do not even talk to me about science, ever.
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
You'd think so ....
If you had read any of them. I've read about 70 of them, over the years.
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Humanity Sucks

Liked 270 in 223 Posts

Quote:
Look at the rest of my post ... I wasn't saying they weren't good stories ... I was pointing out why many books either make bad movies or simply don't work out how people expect.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Agent P

Likes Given: 184
Liked 295 in 211 Posts
xsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Look at the rest of my post ... I wasn't saying they weren't good stories ... I was pointing out why many books either make bad movies or simply don't work out how people expect.
I took that into account long before I pointed out they are missing a treasure trove of original and creative story ideas that don't rely on canon material.

This is why no one tries to actually look any of them over, they assume without even reading them, that they cannot be "translated" to the big screen.

There is a serious lack of creativity and original ideas in Hollywood, due in no small part to that type of thinking.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

Likes Given: 12
Liked 14 in 12 Posts
kwc57 is on a distinguished roadkwc57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oh and hell, welcome back! Where the hell have you been?
Elsewhere. Oddball told me to get over here and say hi. Hi!

Little men with little minds and little imaginations go through life in little ruts, smugly resisting all changes which would jar their little worlds. - Zig Ziglar

There are two types of people in this world: those who leave a mark, and others who just leave a stain.