free hit counter
"The Americans" on FX - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Reviews Review and discuss Movies, TV shows... Music... Books...

Old February 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM

Likes Given: 16
Liked 70 in 53 Posts
PhiloB is just really nicePhiloB is just really nicePhiloB is just really nicePhiloB is just really nicePhiloB is just really nicePhiloB is just really nicePhiloB is just really nicePhiloB is just really nice
Default "The Americans" on FX

This is a great show. I watched the first episode during the State of the Union speech. Loved the 80's tunes.
Post liked by
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Registered Beer User

Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future

Yep I have been DVRing this and watching it sans commercials. Good show so far, riveting.
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:35 PM

Likes Given: 350
Liked 106 in 93 Posts
TNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to all

I started recording it. Have not got a chance to see one yet, but I will. The previews look awesome!
Post liked by
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Metal Millitia

Likes Given: 306
Liked 281 in 253 Posts
Thanatos144 is a splendid one to beholdThanatos144 is a splendid one to beholdThanatos144 is a splendid one to beholdThanatos144 is a splendid one to beholdThanatos144 is a splendid one to beholdThanatos144 is a splendid one to beholdThanatos144 is a splendid one to beholdThanatos144 is a splendid one to beholdThanatos144 is a splendid one to beholdThanatos144 is a splendid one to beholdThanatos144 is a splendid one to behold

It will be a great show as long as they dont start glorifying communism.
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:17 AM

Likes Given: 350
Liked 106 in 93 Posts
TNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to allTNHarley is a name known to all

Well I have watched all 3 shows now. I have to say... I am addicted! The 2 main characters, their actors, could not have been a better pick!
2 Likes this
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:39 PM
Registered Beer User

Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future

It's getting quite complex and real-feeling. Very good television.
Old March 12th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Registered Beer User

That SKeri Russell is one vicious bitch in this series. Last week they had me ROOTING for her and her "rezident" spy hubby, as they beat the hell out of the KGB agents who tortured them. I was actually rooting for them to kill the sumbitches, as SKeri Russell was drowning the fatass bitch who was their "rezident" boss

Here's the promo for next Wednesday's episode.

At the end of this week's episode we start to see that SKeri's character is beginning to get it, she is working for the Evil side - she's just not ready to admit it to herself yet while hubby with very few words, emphasizes it. We can tell she's really thinking now, not just robotically acting as ordered.
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos144 View Post
It will be a great show as long as they dont start glorifying communism.
And as it turns out, they're not. In fact they are staying pretty straight and factual with that aspect .

BUT....

What they're actually doing is putting on a little moral relativity play - portraying the FBI agents as just as bad if not alot worse than the KGB agents they pursue.

The message thus far seems to be, "Hey, our people are just as bad as the commies were, get over it."

To this end they show FBI agents doing all sorts of illegal crap - in fact anything and everything you've ever heard of regarding abuse of authority, police brutality, violation of civil rights, and even just plain murder.

Stuff that I wouldn't really put past the CIA back then or even now, but that I'm pretty sure the FBI didn't generally do then or now.

Meanwhile they show the "struggle" of the two protagonists, the KGB resident spies, trying to humanize them as much as possible. They have two children who are completely clueless as to what their parents actually do - the kids are part of the cover for the agents - and their domestic problems are a running story arc by themselves. We're supposed to sympathize with the two commies I guess, but definitely we DO sympathize with the kids.

It's a good show though, must see TV. But it does help to realize what they're really trying to do with it.

I have conjured up the final scenes for the final episode of this series. It goes like this:
Elizabeth, having just finished a particularly nasty torture/execution of the Richard Thomas character, Agent Gaad, has his dead body and her KGB tool bag in her trunk, getting ready to dispose of the body, the evidence, the car, everything like we've seen them do a few times already.

She is ditty bopping down a street, tuning the radio - there seems to be some kind of news report about Germany or something - when BAM! She is T-Boned in a intersection by a red light runner and is knocked out, blood everywhere... The trunk had popped open and agent Gaad's body is hanging out in all its twisted, mutilated glory for everyone to see...

Meanwhile, her hubby and fellow KGB agent Phillip is waiting at school to pick up the kids, and he is hearing the radio report too, aghast. Suddenly, FBI agents fall on him out of the trees practically, surrounding the car. They yank him out, they got him. We see the kids looking on in shock and bewilderment.

Next scene is Elizabeth waking up in a hospital room - her injuries not severe as it turns out - with FBI agent Beeman standing over her saying, "We got you. You and Phillip. It's over...

The TV in the room is on, she looks at and we do to, the camera pans in... and it all becomes clear. Tom Brokaw is covering live, the fall of the Berlin Wall. People are hitting it with sledgehammers, all that...

Fade to black and run credits...