free hit counter
Great Depression Cooking - Page 2 - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Brewin' and Cookin' Discuss favorite foods, wines and recipes

Old April 29th, 2012, 01:23 AM

Likes Given: 122
Liked 84 in 56 Posts
Anniekat is on a distinguished roadAnniekat is on a distinguished road

I was in one of the middle schools at the beginning of this week. Outside of the library they had a display of 'We're at War' from WWII. In general it had to do with rationing, (I've not a clue to the curriculum focus or the assignment for the students, just the final product). There were books of ration stamps, charts of how much certain items cost, seems that canned veggies used up tons of points! There were also cookbooks and it seems this lady was way ahead of the game!
Old April 29th, 2012, 01:43 AM

Likes Given: 122
Liked 405 in 312 Posts
Shadow is a glorious beacon of lightShadow is a glorious beacon of lightShadow is a glorious beacon of lightShadow is a glorious beacon of lightShadow is a glorious beacon of lightShadow is a glorious beacon of lightShadow is a glorious beacon of lightShadow is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniekat View Post
I was in one of the middle schools at the beginning of this week. Outside of the library they had a display of 'We're at War' from WWII. In general it had to do with rationing, (I've not a clue to the curriculum focus or the assignment for the students, just the final product). There were books of ration stamps, charts of how much certain items cost, seems that canned veggies used up tons of points! There were also cookbooks and it seems this lady was way ahead of the game!
Must be why they learned to eat this...

I like her story about God sending you food from heaven that drops out of the sky.

BTW...How many of these have you made Allie?
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Always correct

Likes Given: 81
Liked 76 in 68 Posts
AllieBaba will become famous soon enoughAllieBaba will become famous soon enoughAllieBaba will become famous soon enoughAllieBaba will become famous soon enough

I made the apples, which are really, really good. And I've made poor man dinner with potatoes, hotdogs, onions. I was raised on a lot of food that looks a lot like the things she cooks, only my parents weren't Italian, the pasta wasn't prevalent.

My grandma used to make dandylion salad as well. Also cooked dandylions, if I recall correctly.

My grandfolks on both sides had gardens. So while they definitely employed depression cooking frugality, they always had canned goods in the winter and fresh produce during the growing season. Also my mom's folks had livestock (cows, rabbits, poultry, pigs) so they had meat. But they had a big family...11 kids.

My dad's folks lived in town and didn't have livestock, but they did maintain a big garden. My dad fished and was a bird hunter as well.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:34 AM
Trailer Park Hero
9 Ball Connect Champion 3D Frogger Champion Baseball Champion FogHorn Thanks Champion Ace Driver Champion 2D Knock-Out Champion UNO 3 Champion

Likes Given: 397
Liked 972 in 790 Posts
trlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieBaba View Post
I want to cook sitting down. How cool is that!
When I slide that desk out to hold the grill, it opens to about a 3 feet from the fridge. I don't even have to move to get my steak out. lol. It is a cool setup.

You know what date is on this coin? 1958. It's been traveling 22 years to get here. And now it's here. And it's either heads or tails, and you have to say. Call it.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:33 AM
Always correct

Likes Given: 81
Liked 76 in 68 Posts
AllieBaba will become famous soon enoughAllieBaba will become famous soon enoughAllieBaba will become famous soon enoughAllieBaba will become famous soon enough

I love it!
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:01 PM
TRIBUNUS ANGUSTICLAVIUS

Likes Given: 115
Liked 297 in 258 Posts
American Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to all

My mom harvested a salad for dinner from our yard; salad greens. For salad dressing she made something out of vinegar to sprinkle on it.

When the pigeons from the city started rosting in our garage - seperate of course, back at the back of the property and with an opening up high in the gable - dad closed up the opening and we had squab to share with others in the neighborhood.

We would try anything it seems; even possum.

We did live in the city, although outer edges, and we had a milk cow the first couple of years after we moved to the city, and of course chickens, mainly bantams. Before we move into the city we had a couple of goats for goat's milk.

We moved into the city in 43, and moved back into the country again in 54. I wasn't born yet, but the family, mom, dad, 4-sisters and a brother moved to the country outside Bloomington from the "City" (What dad called Indianapolis - short for the "capital city") in about 33, and the depression was on in full during those years.

Visit My Album
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:05 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Horse View Post
My mom harvested a salad for dinner from our yard; salad greens.
I sing about that! Click to play.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:05 PM
TRIBUNUS ANGUSTICLAVIUS

Likes Given: 115
Liked 297 in 258 Posts
American Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Marauder View Post
I sing about that! Click to play.

That's funny; people can't imagine being so "poor" but it was a natural way to live. Everyone in the neighborhood had some kind of fruit tree or grapevine (ror making wine), or a garden. We also all had outhouses there until the sewer line came through, and it was the city, down near the tracks and the creek. Bobby Helms lived near the tracks a little further west, in one of the little one-room houses in back of the skating rink.

Visit My Album