free hit counter
Ready Phasers Mr. Chekov - it's here today, lasers on ships - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Military Armed forces strategies, news and comments

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Midnight_Marauder's Avatar
Midnight_Marauder Midnight_Marauder is offline
Registered Beer User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Where the Buffalo Roam
Posts: 8,232
Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future
Default Ready Phasers Mr. Chekov - it's here today, lasers on ships

No longer the fantasy weapon of tomorrow, the U.S. Navy is set to field a powerful laser that can protect its ships by blasting targets with high-intensity light beams.



Early next year the Navy will place a laser weapon aboard a ship in the Persian Gulf where it could be used to fend off approaching unmanned aerial vehicles or speedboats.

The Navy calls its futuristic weapon LAWS, which stands for the Laser Weapon System. What looks like a small telescope is actually a weapon that can track a moving target and fire a steady laser beam strong enough to burn a hole through steel.

A Navy video of testing conducted last summer off the coast of California shows how a laser beam fired from a Navy destroyer was able to set aflame an approaching UAV or drone, sending it crashing into the ocean.



http://news.yahoo.com/lightbox/navys...215414465.html


Navy Deploying Laser Weapon Prototype in Persian Gulf - NYTimes.com
__________________
Could it be that I could be the cowboy in that mystery who died so long ago in that El Paso sand?
  #2  
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Vel's Avatar
Vel Vel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,481
Likes Given: 885
Liked 975 in 783 Posts
Vel has much to be proud ofVel has much to be proud ofVel has much to be proud ofVel has much to be proud ofVel has much to be proud ofVel has much to be proud ofVel has much to be proud ofVel has much to be proud ofVel has much to be proud ofVel has much to be proud ofVel has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Marauder View Post
No longer the fantasy weapon of tomorrow, the U.S. Navy is set to field a powerful laser that can protect its ships by blasting targets with high-intensity light beams.



Early next year the Navy will place a laser weapon aboard a ship in the Persian Gulf where it could be used to fend off approaching unmanned aerial vehicles or speedboats.

The Navy calls its futuristic weapon LAWS, which stands for the Laser Weapon System. What looks like a small telescope is actually a weapon that can track a moving target and fire a steady laser beam strong enough to burn a hole through steel.

A Navy video of testing conducted last summer off the coast of California shows how a laser beam fired from a Navy destroyer was able to set aflame an approaching UAV or drone, sending it crashing into the ocean.



http://news.yahoo.com/lightbox/navys...215414465.html


Navy Deploying Laser Weapon Prototype in Persian Gulf - NYTimes.com
That is awesome. I wonder what kind of range it has.
  #3  
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Midnight_Marauder's Avatar
Midnight_Marauder Midnight_Marauder is offline
Registered Beer User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Where the Buffalo Roam
Posts: 8,232
Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel View Post
That is awesome. I wonder what kind of range it has.
From the report I saw on TV earlier, lots. Which makes sense, think about your laser pointer - that light travels miles.

We have a laser that hits a reflector on the moon for accurate distance measuring - a reflector placed by a Apollo crew by the way - which serves also to destroy the moon landing deniers every time.

So I imagine the range on this is 100 miles at least.
__________________
Could it be that I could be the cowboy in that mystery who died so long ago in that El Paso sand?
  #4  
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:31 PM
walruskkkch's Avatar
walruskkkch walruskkkch is offline
They call me MR. Kitty
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Katmandhu
Posts: 6,825
Likes Given: 154
Liked 2,313 in 1,940 Posts
walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future
Default

Never work, Reagan's an idiot. How does this feed the homeless?
__________________


Quote:
I think its unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair, Helose said.
Gentlemen, he said I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards.
Post liked by
  #5  
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:32 PM
walruskkkch's Avatar
walruskkkch walruskkkch is offline
They call me MR. Kitty
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Katmandhu
Posts: 6,825
Likes Given: 154
Liked 2,313 in 1,940 Posts
walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Marauder View Post
From the report I saw on TV earlier, lots. Which makes sense, think about your laser pointer - that light travels miles.

We have a laser that hits a reflector on the moon for accurate distance measuring - a reflector placed by a Apollo crew by the way - which serves also to destroy the moon landing deniers every time.

So I imagine the range on this is 100 miles at least.
And on a foggy day what is it's effective range.
__________________


Quote:
I think its unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair, Helose said.
Gentlemen, he said I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards.
  #6  
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Midnight_Marauder's Avatar
Midnight_Marauder Midnight_Marauder is offline
Registered Beer User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Where the Buffalo Roam
Posts: 8,232
Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future
Default

U.S. Navy Laser Weapon Demonstration - Video - The New York Times
__________________
Could it be that I could be the cowboy in that mystery who died so long ago in that El Paso sand?
  #7  
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Midnight_Marauder's Avatar
Midnight_Marauder Midnight_Marauder is offline
Registered Beer User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Where the Buffalo Roam
Posts: 8,232
Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future
Default

__________________
Could it be that I could be the cowboy in that mystery who died so long ago in that El Paso sand?
  #8  
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Midnight_Marauder's Avatar
Midnight_Marauder Midnight_Marauder is offline
Registered Beer User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Where the Buffalo Roam
Posts: 8,232
Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walruskkkch View Post
And on a foggy day what is it's effective range.
No idear.
__________________
Could it be that I could be the cowboy in that mystery who died so long ago in that El Paso sand?
  #9  
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:44 PM
walruskkkch's Avatar
walruskkkch walruskkkch is offline
They call me MR. Kitty
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Katmandhu
Posts: 6,825
Likes Given: 154
Liked 2,313 in 1,940 Posts
walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future
Default

One of the problems with lasers are less than perfect conditions. Hope they solved that problem.
__________________


Quote:
I think its unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair, Helose said.
Gentlemen, he said I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards.
  #10  
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Midnight_Marauder's Avatar
Midnight_Marauder Midnight_Marauder is offline
Registered Beer User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Where the Buffalo Roam
Posts: 8,232
Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walruskkkch View Post
One of the problems with lasers are less than perfect conditions. Hope they solved that problem.
Offhand it would seem to be a disadvantage.
__________________
Could it be that I could be the cowboy in that mystery who died so long ago in that El Paso sand?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content copyright ©2000 - 2018 usmessageboards.com all rights reserved