free hit counter
September 11, 2001 - Your narrative. The 5 W's and the H - Page 3 - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

History US history topics

Old September 12th, 2013, 12:30 PM

Likes Given: 2
Liked 7 in 3 Posts
Tuirc is on a distinguished roadTuirc is on a distinguished road

I was on my way to Crystal City to work. (My building was about 3 blocks from the Pentagon). I was in Alexandria, listening to Howard Stern on the radio, when they announced that a plane had hit the WTC. So, I switched to a news station. They had a reporter on the scene trying to figure out what had happened and just how big the hole was in the building. They were pattering back and forth and then there were a bunch of screams as the people on the scene watched the second plane hit. I called my wife and told her we were being attacked as there was no doubt in my mind at that point.

I got to work and we were trying to get info about NYC on the Internet. I wasn't long and someone came running down the hall saying, "They've hit the Pentagon!" Several of us in the room were veterans and knew how rumors go. So, we all said BS. We'd have heard it if that happened. Nevertheless, we walked to the other side of the building to see if it was true. When we got there black smoke was billowing up from the Pentagon. Just then, the alarms in our building went off. They cleared us all out into the streets. It was utter chaos. Guys with shotguns and automatic weapons were everywhere directing traffic, moving people one place or another. People from the Pentagon had started to stream over in our direction. The Marshals were in the next building. SUVs would fly up, the door swing open as 3 - 5 guys would run out of the SUV and into the building. They came out with automatic rifles. Got back in the SUV and took off.

After about 10 minutes, maybe less of watching this and having no info, I told the guy I had been working with, "Come on, let's go see what happened at the Pentagon." We started walking that direction passing workers heading the other way. We had just crossed Army-Navy Drive into the parking lot and there was what sounded like 2 huge explosions. We ducked down and looked around for damage. But, it was the two F-16s coming on station from Langley AFB supersonic. The explosions were sonic booms. We continued up to the top of the hill where I-395 goes past the Pentagon. There were 3 Air Force officers up there already. We got up there and looked down. Couldn't see too much detail because it was the other side that had been hit (two sides away from us). The smoke was blowing toward us, in our faces. Finally, an AF Major came up with a portable radio and we got the first news since being evacuated from our building. There was a report from NYC that the WTC had fallen. But from the report, we though the top part fell off. We didn't even conceive of what really happened. It wouldn't be until later that night that I would find out what actually happened. Next there was a reporter at the Pentagon who interviewed a DC cop. They asked if the rumor that another plane was inbound to the Pentagon was true. He confirmed it. I looked at the F-16s now on Combat Air Patrol over DC and I looked at the guy I came with and said, "Let's get out of here. I don't know where that plane is coming down, but it won't be on the Pentagon."

We ended up spending a couple of hours at the entrance to an underground garage with reinforce concrete all around. We went back to the office where they had allowed people back in but told them to leave. Problem was, there was no good way out of Crystal City. I sat in the office and watched as a bus moved 200 yards in 1/2 hour. Around 3 pm, we were all told to get out, period. So, I got the two former Marines I was working with and we piled in my car to drive home. We had to pass right by the place where the Pentagon was hit. There was still smoke and fire. In fact, it was still smoking for days afterward. Everyone has seen the pics so I'll spare the description. But driving down I-395 was shocking. It was like the end of the world. No cars, no trucks, no planes, no people. Nothing. We saw one ambulance headed the other direction and that was it for 10 miles.

So, that's my memory of the events of that day. More exciting than some, not nearly as much as others.
Old September 12th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Likes Given: 7,695
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuirc View Post
It was utter chaos.
Is there another kind?

Great post by the way.
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:50 PM

Liked 7 in 3 Posts

Thanks. No, I guess not. But, it's always a surprise when the people that talk into their sleeves breakout the automatic weapons and you realize what's been around you all the time. It was a glimpse of what lies just over the hill if society decided to breakdown.
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Likes Given: 7,695
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuirc View Post
Thanks. No, I guess not. But, it's always a surprise when the people that talk into their sleeves breakout the automatic weapons and you realize what's been around you all the time. It was a glimpse of what lies just over the hill if society decided to breakdown.
CAN it decide that? Or is it something that just happens?
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:07 PM

Liked 7 in 3 Posts

Sure society can decide to breakdown. Not like it's a monolithic entity with its own intelligence affirmatively deciding to do something, but if a significant part of society decided to take things a different way and the remainder disagreed with that (or you come up a hypothetical), then I think you have a society deciding to breakdown. Those who deviate from the current norm precipitate a breakdown.

Sometimes we perceive that as having been a good thing (the American Revolution) and other times it's not as clear (the counter-culture movement). Obviously, different degrees of breakdown in my examples too.
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Trailer Park Hero
9 Ball Connect Champion 3D Frogger Champion Baseball Champion FogHorn Thanks Champion Ace Driver Champion 2D Knock-Out Champion UNO 3 Champion

Likes Given: 397
Liked 972 in 790 Posts
trlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to behold

I was delivering at a Dollar General store in Goldsboro NC. Manager asked me if I had heard the news. I was driving a 1987 Pete and there was no radio in it. He told me that a plane had crashed into the WTC. I didn't think much about it. About 5 mins later he told me another one had hit.

I left there and was headed back to South Boston to get another load. I stopped and called in and the boss told me to come back to the yard, we were shut down until further notice. I wound up out of work for 2 weeks so I got to watch all of the coverage. They couldn't get to the Dollar General stores in NYC so they cut off the overflow out of the South Boston Va warehouse to give the extra work to the Ohio one that covered that area.

It was right about that time that System of a Down had come out with their Toxicity album. It was released on September 4th 2001, and I remember hearing the song "Jet Pilot" and freaking out a little. lol. It didn't help that they were Arabs.

Quote:
My horse, is a shackled old man,
His, his remorse, was that he couldn't survey,
The skies, right before,
Right before they went gray,
My horse and my remorse,
Flying over a great bay

Wired were the eyes of a horse on a jet pilot,
One that smiled when he flew over the bay,
Wired were the eyes of a horse on a jet pilot,
One that smiled when he flew over the bay.
Crazy, huh?

You know what date is on this coin? 1958. It's been traveling 22 years to get here. And now it's here. And it's either heads or tails, and you have to say. Call it.