free hit counter
Adult taste - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Brewin' and Cookin' Discuss favorite foods, wines and recipes

Old August 17th, 2016, 02:46 PM
€COM#1

Likes Given: 726
Liked 1,756 in 1,553 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future
Default Adult taste

So having small kids kinda reminds me of the fact that I happily eat stuff that I hated with a passion back when I was small. For instance, I love black olives, liver and spinach, all of which the brats hate with the passion of a thousand burning suns, and which I recall disliking myself when I was a kid. And the Mrs, who falls squarely at the age half-way point between the brats and me is suspiciously keen on their food (anything sweet, processed meats, pasta) although she fights womanfully to impress me with her maturity by pretending to like my stuff as much as I do.

So I'm wondering - what culinary tastes did you you acquire only after you grew up? Olives, spinach and liver, as well as fish (other than fried) and crisp bread are among mine.
Old August 17th, 2016, 03:29 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

Likes Given: 151
Liked 2,210 in 1,846 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future

WHen you are a poor college student your tastes certainly undergo a lot of expanding. I still won't eat spinach, although I have acquired a taste for olives myself. Hot peppers now, not then. Still won't eat fish although I do on rare occasion indulge. Ethnic food was unheard of for me as a child, a little Chinese aside, but know I love just trying new things I never had before. Why that all happens when you grow up is curious. Perhaps it is just that your parents kept things basic to keep things simple for themselves in dealing with you as a child. Once they found something you did like to eat, they just kept at it.

Quote:
“I think it’s unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair,” Heloïse said.
Gentlemen, he said I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards.
Old August 17th, 2016, 04:16 PM
€COM#1

moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future

Possibly. But I know my tastes have changed in ways that can't have much to do with preparation - for instance, I used to dislike walnuts, and I like them now.

As for fish - any sort of pickled or soused herring, preferably with fresh potatoes and chopped chives and dill... am nam nam. Could eat that forever.

But anyway, I was talking with my cowies today, and the evolution of taste as a function of age is universal enough and similar enough that it seems to me that it might have some neural foundation.
Old August 17th, 2016, 04:28 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

Likes Given: 151
Liked 2,210 in 1,846 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future

Perhaps when you went from being with the gatherers and joined with the hunters.

Quote:
“I think it’s unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair,” Heloïse said.
Gentlemen, he said I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards.
Old August 17th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Likes Given: 7,547
Liked 2,887 in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomin View Post
am nam nam.
That's correctly, "omm nom nom."
Old August 18th, 2016, 02:15 AM
€COM#1

I save that for women.