free hit counter
Sometimes you just get home sick even if you are at home! - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Brewin' and Cookin' Discuss favorite foods, wines and recipes

Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:42 AM

Likes Given: 4
Liked 49 in 40 Posts
Abogada has a spectacular aura aboutAbogada has a spectacular aura aboutAbogada has a spectacular aura aboutAbogada has a spectacular aura aboutAbogada has a spectacular aura about
Default Sometimes you just get home sick even if you are at home!

My mother and I used to go to town every Saturday. One thing we always did was to go the the 5 and dime stores, Kresge's and Woolworths. Any time you went you were greeted by the good food smells from 'the lunch counter' and she used to get me an 'order of dressing' at Kresge's lunch counter. She, herself, usually just had coffee. I've always wished I could find that dressing recipe, but even with the internet, it's still no go. We also had a Woolworth's. Both places had some yummy stuff, candy, doughnuts, etc.

I particularly like the 'toy counter' though when I was a little girl. And one of the most frightening events of my life was when I thought I was following my mother out of the store and it turns out it was someone else. I was scared to death. Made sure nothing like that EVER happened again!

I found some recipes from both places, but not the one I was looking for. This was before the days of prefab food!

http://community.tasteofhome.com/com...px?PageIndex=1

http://community.tasteofhome.com/com...84/272535.aspx

Of course, now WE are the old fogies and the young folks get oh so bored with this stuff. I guess now today's equivalent would be the rich coffee smells and little croissant sandwiches in stores like Barns and Noble or some such. Those are nice, but it would be great to revisit Kresge's and Woolworth's!

Maybe this is just a sign that the wallpaper project is killing me! LOL.