free hit counter
Anyone here a gold bug? - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Economy - Stock Market Discuss economic policy and Wall Street

Old October 26th, 2018, 02:49 PM
€COM#1

Likes Given: 766
Liked 1,828 in 1,622 Posts
moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future
Default Anyone here a gold bug?

After a pretty spectacular decade on the stock market, the show is visibly coming to an end here in the best of all possible unions. I'm getting out, and one way I'm getting out is probably to buy a bunch of gold to secure against market and currency risk both.

Anyone ever bought any serious amount of gold? Thoughts?
Old October 26th, 2018, 11:01 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

Likes Given: 154
Liked 2,313 in 1,940 Posts
walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future

What's George Soros doing?

Quote:
“I think it’s unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair,” Heloïse said.
Gentlemen, he said I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards.
Old October 26th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Registered Beer User

Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future

Your government could do what ours did, during the great depression - make ownership of gold illegal.
Old October 27th, 2018, 04:41 AM
€COM#1

moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by walruskkkch View Post
What's George Soros doing?
Once you operate at Soros' level, the rules are much different. You don't have currency risks. You are the currency risk, for instance.
Old October 27th, 2018, 04:50 AM
€COM#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Marauder View Post
Your government could do what ours did, during the great depression - make ownership of gold illegal.
We never were that commie over here. And even if they do, that'd be on the level of traffic regulation - enforceable only against dumkopfs.

So I take it the answer is no? I'm finding most options unsatisfactory. Paper gold (various market instruments related to gold) are basically useless in a real blow out. Vault companies have Enron written all over them. Bank safes are in banks, yo, which should hold everything but total system collapse, but then you suddenly have the political risk as in the US great depression... And so help me, buying gold and digging it down on your property(-ies) sounds like fun, but the practical issues when you're looking at something like 40+ kg are fucking significant, especially if you're trying not to insure it (same political risk) and suddenly have theft to worry about instead. OTOH, you can say we ain't commies and insure, but you wouldn't believe the rates they offer on that sort of stash. Tricky.
Old October 27th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Registered Beer User

Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomin View Post
We never were that commie over here. And even if they do, that'd be on the level of traffic regulation - enforceable only against dumkopfs.
They confiscated it by threat and force of arms and/or incarceration. That's much easier to do in Sweden what with the tiny land area (by comparison) and the unarmed public.

Quote:
So I take it the answer is no? I'm finding most options unsatisfactory. Paper gold (various market instruments related to gold) are basically useless in a real blow out. Vault companies have Enron written all over them. Bank safes are in banks, yo, which should hold everything but total system collapse, but then you suddenly have the political risk as in the US great depression... And so help me, buying gold and digging it down on your property(-ies) sounds like fun, but the practical issues when you're looking at something like 40+ kg are fucking significant, especially if you're trying not to insure it (same political risk) and suddenly have theft to worry about instead. OTOH, you can say we ain't commies and insure, but you wouldn't believe the rates they offer on that sort of stash. Tricky.
Other practical problem with gold is, who's gonna be left around to be taking it as payment, after the apocalypse or whatever the major collapse will be next time?

You definitely raise a good question though.
Old October 27th, 2018, 04:18 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

Likes Given: 154
Liked 2,313 in 1,940 Posts
walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future

Buy weapons, you can always then get more gold.

Quote:
“I think it’s unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair,” Heloïse said.
Gentlemen, he said I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards.
Old October 27th, 2018, 05:03 PM
€COM#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Marauder View Post
They confiscated it by threat and force of arms and/or incarceration. That's much easier to do in Sweden what with the tiny land area (by comparison) and the unarmed public.
There are over two million legal firearms in Sweden. For a population of 10M people. That's hardly unarmed, no matter shake it. That our crime and murder rate is orders of magnitude lower than the American one has to do with the quality of the populations (read: no massive nigger ghettos). And Sweden, is the third largest country in Western Europe, after Spain and France. Norway is fourth, btw, clocking in before Germany. Which translates to a lower mean population density than the US, in fact, significantly lower pop density.
Quote:
Other practical problem with gold is, who's gonna be left around to be taking it as payment, after the apocalypse or whatever the major collapse will be next time?
Oh, gold isn't for a total societal collapse. I agree that's useless. Use that gold now to buy prepper stuff if you think that's in the cards, alright. Gold is for keeping value in a situation where I foresee both the stock markets and the local currency taking real bad hair cuts.
Quote:
You definitely raise a good question though.
Yeah, physical gold is a pain. Might have to go for that other unprintable resource, land, instead.