free hit counter
Site improvements lately. - Page 2 - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Announcements and Feedback Site announcements. Also post your bitches and gripes and ask dumb questions here.

Old September 28th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Registered Beer User

Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future

By the way, [MENTION=36]boedicca[/MENTION] you didn't say anything about the new embedded video feature, that hides the videos behind a low bandwidth image until you click on the image to load the video?

This has cut the site's bandwidth use dramatically, and greatly decreased page load time for threads that have alot of videos in them. BUT:

It's not any good if folks don't like it. Do you like it?
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Humanity Sucks

Likes Given: 174
Liked 270 in 223 Posts
KittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of light

I like the new video thing. Even without low bandwidth it's nice to have a page load fast even when videos are embedded. Sidebar doesn't bother me, though it slows my browser down a bit .... but I tend to forget to clear my cache, since I so rarely close it I should.
If you do not understand that humans evolved from a monkey like simian, then do not even talk to me about science, ever.
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Registered Beer User

Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenKoder View Post
I like the new video thing. Even without low bandwidth it's nice to have a page load fast even when videos are embedded. Sidebar doesn't bother me, though it slows my browser down a bit .... but I tend to forget to clear my cache, since I so rarely close it I should.
Doesn't help a whole hell of a lot to clear your browser cache here, since CloudFlare caches everything and only clears and updates itself every two hours. Most of what you see on pageload is cached by CloudFlare anyway, making your cache not really relevant and making pageloads more rapid to start with.

We're one of a very few forum boards using the new CloudFlare service.
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:06 PM
alpha female

Likes Given: 513
Liked 777 in 567 Posts
boedicca is a glorious beacon of lightboedicca is a glorious beacon of lightboedicca is a glorious beacon of lightboedicca is a glorious beacon of lightboedicca is a glorious beacon of lightboedicca is a glorious beacon of lightboedicca is a glorious beacon of lightboedicca is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Marauder View Post
By the way, [MENTION=36]boedicca[/MENTION] you didn't say anything about the new embedded video feature, that hides the videos behind a low bandwidth image until you click on the image to load the video?

This has cut the site's bandwidth use dramatically, and greatly decreased page load time for threads that have alot of videos in them. BUT:

It's not any good if folks don't like it. Do you like it?

I like it in some ways - but miss seeing the title of the video. Unless the poster mentions what it is, it's a mystery.
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boedicca View Post
I like it in some ways - but miss seeing the title of the video. Unless the poster mentions what it is, it's a mystery.
Yeah it usually shows up upon click, IF the video owner has it set to do such.

I think folks will probably adapt to putting the titles in before they post.

So is it a thumbs down or a thumbs up?
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:24 PM
alpha female

Liked 777 in 567 Posts
boedicca is a glorious beacon of lightboedicca is a glorious beacon of lightboedicca is a glorious beacon of lightboedicca is a glorious beacon of lightboedicca is a glorious beacon of lightboedicca is a glorious beacon of lightboedicca is a glorious beacon of lightboedicca is a glorious beacon of light

If people have to manually add titles, then for me it's a thumbs down.
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
If people have to manually add titles, then for me it's a thumbs down.
Totally go back to default video embedding? When in most cases the video title is shown after clicking on the image?

EDIT to add: I will see if there is a simple way for my script to also grab the title of the video, and display that as the direct link to the video instead of "Direct link to video" it displays now.
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:42 PM
alpha female

Liked 777 in 567 Posts

I usually see the title without having to click on the image.
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
I usually see the title without having to click on the image.
As it is now you do?

Also, see my edit above of my post.
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:49 PM
alpha female

Liked 777 in 567 Posts

I just want to know what the video is without having to click and play it first. However you do that is fine with me.