free hit counter
New Star Trek movie, "Into Darkness" - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Reviews Review and discuss Movies, TV shows... Music... Books...

Old September 15th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Registered Knucklehead
Smilie Czar

Likes Given: 76
Liked 240 in 178 Posts
Skip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of lightSkip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of lightSkip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of lightSkip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of lightSkip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of lightSkip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of lightSkip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of lightSkip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of light
Default J.J. Abrams officially signs on to direct 'Star Trek 2'

Nice.

Despite some gaping plot holes and absurd scenes (where is there a 1,000 foot escarpment in Iowa?), Star Trek '09 was pretty good.....A dam site better than the bombs the TOS/TNG franchise had been churning out.

Hope this one hits theaters next summer.

Quote:
Screenwriters from the first film, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are writing the script with Abrams and producer Damon Lindelof, who told OnTheRedCarpet.com at San Diego Comic-Con that they had figured out what the story would be.

"Right now my days and nights are consumed by 'Star Trek 2,'" Lindelof told OnTheRedCarpet.com host Rachel Smith at Comic-Con in July. "Finally the four creative minds that sort of made the first movie what it was are all back in a room together and I think that was the only way we wanted to do it and we have been doing it."

"I think that the bar is very high. We're not going to be satisfied with 'Oh this is fine,'" he added. "If an idea isn't mind-blowing, or super cool, or doesn't present the 'Star Trek' universe in a way that maybe people haven't seen before ... but you also sort of have to pay homage to the fans that have stuck with this amazing franchise for 40 years."
J.J. Abrams officially signs on to direct 'Star Trek 2' - 09/14/2011 | Entertainment News from OnTheRedCarpet.com
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Registered Beer User

Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
you also sort of have to pay homage to the fans that have stuck with this amazing franchise for 40 years."
Nice afterthought.

And it's actually ST 11.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Registered Knucklehead
Smilie Czar

Liked 240 in 178 Posts
Skip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of lightSkip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of lightSkip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of lightSkip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of lightSkip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of lightSkip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of lightSkip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of lightSkip to my Lew is a glorious beacon of light

I don't care what they call it.

Scotty and McCoy in ST 09 are friggin' hilarious....The retreadding of their clichés was about perfect.

Even money we get a "he's dead, Jim" in the next one.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Agent P

Likes Given: 184
Liked 295 in 211 Posts
xsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of light

After the epic fail of the TV show "Lost," I've been a bit wary of JJ Abrams, but I must say that Start Trek '09 was pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to Star Trek 2. They've changed the timeline so they can take it anywhere they want. That bothered me at first, but now believe it was a brilliant move.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Registered Beer User

Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip to my Lew View Post
Scotty and McCoy in ST 09 are friggin' hilarious....The retreadding of their clichés was about perfect.

Even money we get a "he's dead, Jim" in the next one.
You mean 10, right? The last one? Star Trek 90210?

Interestingly, all the main actors in that one were signed on to multi-picture deals, making them contractually obligated to do these sequels. Which shows excellent planning on the part of the producers and Paramount.

I am okay with the new ST stuff, but very glad I didn't go see it in the theater and waited instead for the DVD to come out. I bought the DVD and enjoyed it at home.

Disappointed they went right back to a way overused plot device - time travel, and also really distressed that "Spock Prime" (old Spock) was totally out of character - he would be doing everything possible to restore the timeline, not happily live in a alternate one. An alternate one where Vulcan no longer exists, and Romulus is also destroyed? No way. He would give his last breath trying to fix that.

The new ST stuff is designed to appeal mainly to the ADD, OCD, video game, instant gratification mentality types. I seriously doubt we will ever see any real exploration of issues, or any real drama in these movies.

But what the hell, it just is what it is.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsited1 View Post
After the epic fail of the TV show "Lost," I've been a bit wary of JJ Abrams, but I must say that Start Trek '09 was pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to Star Trek 2. They've changed the timeline so they can take it anywhere they want. That bothered me at first, but now believe it was a brilliant move.
Cheap plot device. Create a alternate universe so we don't have to be creative researchers, don't have any of the old stories getting in the way. Don't have to honor canon.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Agent P

Likes Given: 184
Liked 295 in 211 Posts
xsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of lightxsited1 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Marauder View Post
Cheap plot device. Create a alternate universe so we don't have to be creative researchers, don't have any of the old stories getting in the way. Don't have to honor canon.
Agreed and it did bother me for a while. I'll give JJ a chance to see where he takes it.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Humanity Sucks

Likes Given: 174
Liked 270 in 223 Posts
KittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure I like JJ doing this, but the Star Trek rebooting was probably the only good thing to happen to that franchise.
If you do not understand that humans evolved from a monkey like simian, then do not even talk to me about science, ever.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Registered Knucklehead
Smilie Czar

Liked 240 in 178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Marauder View Post
The entire franchise is loaded down with cheap plot devices.

Hell, in the new time line Spock might succeed in saving Romulus and blast the whole lot of them to Spock-with-a-goatee land.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Humanity Sucks

Likes Given: 174
Liked 270 in 223 Posts
KittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of lightKittenKoder is a glorious beacon of light

Hell, almost half of them were rip-offs Twilight Zone and Outer Limits.
If you do not understand that humans evolved from a monkey like simian, then do not even talk to me about science, ever.