free hit counter
♫ ~The Old Timers Of Country Music~ ♫ - Page 2 - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Music Chat about your favorite musicians, albums, share your creations

Old July 17th, 2011, 04:27 PM

Likes Given: 514
Liked 552 in 433 Posts
superpsycho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Old Time country - Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys

"I Hear Ya Talkin" Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys

Old July 17th, 2011, 04:33 PM

Likes Given: 326
Liked 292 in 225 Posts
Dabs is just really niceDabs is just really niceDabs is just really niceDabs is just really niceDabs is just really niceDabs is just really niceDabs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Merle Haggard: Okie from Muskogie (gotta love the irony: He wrote it after getting out of jail)
Johnny Cash: Ghost Riders in the Sky (never really in jail)
Waylon Jennings: Mommas Don't let your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys (the worst thing he ever did was give his seat on a plane to Buddy Holly, and tell the doomed man that he hoped the plane crashed....it did!)
Samson, my parents listened to all those you mention as well.
I didn't know the story behind the Buddy Holly plane crash tho........Waylon Jennings could have been on that plane??
And he said that?? :
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Likes Given: 7,695
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
I didn't know the story behind the Buddy Holly plane crash tho........Waylon Jennings could have been on that plane??
And he said that?? :
Jennings was the bass player for Holly for that tour. But the Big Bopper had a bad case of the flu, Jennings took pity on him and let him have his seat on the plane and opted for the bus. Holly was going to be on the plane no matter what, it was HIS charter for him and his band.

Cricket Tommy Allsup lost a coin flip with Ritchie Valens, for his seat on the plane.

Allsup is still alive, was actually THERE, and has often told the correct version of that fateful night, like he does in this video:

Old July 17th, 2011, 06:53 PM

Likes Given: 0
Liked 4 in 4 Posts
AlexW52 is on a distinguished road

I am a HUGE fan of all the old country music. I love George Jones, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams and Marty Stuart. My dad used to listen to that music when I was growing up and it reminds me of him. There is this great country music show on in LA on Saturday mornings called The Twang Show on KCSN. They play all the old stuff from the 60's and it's awesome...you should check it out. You can even listen online.
Old July 17th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexW52 View Post
I am a HUGE fan of all the old country music. I love George Jones, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams and Marty Stuart. My dad used to listen to that music when I was growing up and it reminds me of him. There is this great country music show on in LA on Saturday mornings called The Twang Show on KCSN. They play all the old stuff from the 60's and it's awesome...you should check it out. You can even listen online.
Welcome, new guy!
Old July 17th, 2011, 07:54 PM

Likes Given: 42
Liked 100 in 78 Posts
Samson will become famous soon enoughSamson will become famous soon enoughSamson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
Samson, my parents listened to all those you mention as well.
And he said that?? :
Quote:
Waylon Jennings will be forever linked with Buddy Holly; he was a protégé of Buddy Holly, who bought him a new guitar to enable him to play support on that last tour; it was Waylon who gave up a seat in the 'plane, for Buddy Holly to joke "I hope the bus breaks down", for Waylon to reply "I hope the 'plane crashes" - a joke that haunted him for years.
http://www.famousfolk.com/holly/trib...2waylon1.shtml
Old July 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Jennings didn't give his seat on the plane to Holly. He gave it up to J.P "The Big Bopper" Richardson because he had a serious case of the flu and needed to see a doctor.

Jennings' late in life claim about "I hope your plane crashes" isn't substantiated by any living people who were there. Of course Waylon is dead now, but Allsup isn't.

Just because he says it's so, doesn't necessarily make it so. No one who was there backs up his claim, a claim he never made until 1996, seven years before his own death.

Not trying to disparage a dead man, and of course I doubt Allsup would either. But the myths surrounding what happened that night continue for whatever reason, to be propagated.
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:11 PM

Likes Given: 1,184
Liked 1,521 in 1,232 Posts
lilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud of

My folks owned a bar when I was growing...not a club or restaurant/lounge..a bar..with booths, barstools, bar with cigarettes burns, pool table, juke box....I am very familiar with old country.

Old August 28th, 2011, 02:12 PM

lilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud of

Old August 28th, 2011, 02:13 PM