free hit counter
Mushroom Hunting - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Huntin' and Fishin' Fishing, Hunting, Camping, Hiking...

Old April 16th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Jr Member

Likes Given: 16
Liked 28 in 26 Posts
HTower will become famous soon enoughHTower will become famous soon enoughHTower will become famous soon enoughHTower will become famous soon enough
Default Mushroom Hunting

Upon the pain of death, I am not allowed to reveal where my family hunts for morels, but I can at least show you the haul. Central Illinois, the Peoria area over Easter weekend. My wife's family was out in the woods Easter Sunday morning instead of at church, they're that fanatic about mushrooms.

This was one day's haul. (107 mushrooms). We cut these in half, gave them an egg wash, dipped them in ground up cracker, then dropped them in hot oil to fry them. Delicious!

Does anyone else hunt for these?
Old April 16th, 2012, 05:29 PM

Likes Given: 1,184
Liked 1,521 in 1,232 Posts
lilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud of

I've been a couple of times, and I've known people who say they have, but so far, I haven't seen nary a mushroom. Looks like a nice haul!

Old April 19th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Jr Member

Liked 28 in 26 Posts
HTower will become famous soon enoughHTower will become famous soon enoughHTower will become famous soon enoughHTower will become famous soon enough

where abouts do you hunt?

You know to look around dead elm trees, in areas that are slightly wetter than the surrounding area, modest amount of sunlight?
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:11 AM

Likes Given: 1,184
Liked 1,521 in 1,232 Posts
lilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud oflilpogie has much to be proud of

I've been with folks who are telling me where to look, but they never seem to bring home any mushrooms.. so yeah. I may have to go out on my own if I ever expect to experience these delectable delights!

Old April 20th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Jr Member

Liked 28 in 26 Posts

If I'd known the going cost on Amazon, I'd have sold the mushrooms rather than eating them 8oz for $113.40? Holy crap

Old April 27th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Always correct

Likes Given: 81
Liked 76 in 68 Posts
AllieBaba will become famous soon enoughAllieBaba will become famous soon enoughAllieBaba will become famous soon enoughAllieBaba will become famous soon enough

Yeah, people make bank picking morels.

And mushroom pickers are very protective of their hunting grounds. You're probably better off just picking them for yummy.

I recently moved back to the area I grew up in..we used to hunt mushrooms. Over here it's Chantrelles, though I think there are also morels. I've never been crazy for morels...my brothers used to pick bags of them and we always had them, and familiarity breeds contempt, you know...

In Eastern Oregon we also ate puffballs, before they got puffy, lol. I used to pick them up in the horse pasture and fry them for breakfast.

I haven't hunted mushrooms in years....it's sort of fascinating and scary when you move to a new place and contemplate it...cuz you could always pick the *wrong* one and keel over!

Old April 27th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Always correct

Likes Given: 81
Liked 76 in 68 Posts
AllieBaba will become famous soon enoughAllieBaba will become famous soon enoughAllieBaba will become famous soon enoughAllieBaba will become famous soon enough

And edible puffballs:

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:39 PM

Likes Given: 0
Liked 7 in 6 Posts
Demonbinder is on a distinguished roadDemonbinder is on a distinguished road

Got some Hobbit blood in your family, HT?

I also love mushrooms but only one in my family who feels that way.
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Jr Member

Liked 28 in 26 Posts

I might be part Took

The wife went back to Peoria this weekend to hunt for more. She found only three this time, and they didn't look nice enough to eat. I'm glad I stayed home.
Old January 1st, 2017, 06:57 PM

Likes Given: 0
Liked 0 in 0 Posts
BlueNeck is on a distinguished road
Question I had a friend

from many years ago who would hunt magic mushrooms in Tice, FL. He would go to the cow fields early in the morning and pick the ones growing on cow gung.

BTW, I believe magic mushrooms would be very benifical to cancer patients.