free hit counter
Google search problems being experienced . . . - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Computers - Innerwebs Software, Hardware, Games, Internet

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:32 PM
TRIBUNUS ANGUSTICLAVIUS

Likes Given: 115
Liked 297 in 258 Posts
American Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to all
Default Google search problems being experienced . . .

@ Midnight Marauder; etal:

New internet search problem with Google I’m having.

Recently my searches are coming up very inadequate to what has been my experience in the past.

Take a name search:
I type in Camille Paglia and before this recent problem I’d get her latest published works, a Wiki bio link, etc.

Now I get:
We’ve found Camille Paglia; criminal records for Camille Paglia; public records for: Camille Paglia.

Even when I click a search option like - “articles by Camille Paglia” I then get non-specific results like: “Research database with over 150 million full-text articles.” but I never quite get to something by CP.

I finally dropped IE-8 for IE10 thinking that was the problem, but the same problem is in both explorers.

My I-phone is vastly superior in Google searches, taking me directly to the most common search on the topic or name.

BTW a Yahoo search still comes up as per normal, before I experienced this with Google.

Anybody else having this problem or one like it or can propose a fix?

Visit My Album
Post liked by
Old December 8th, 2012, 02:37 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

Likes Given: 154
Liked 2,313 in 1,940 Posts
walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future

You may have a virus.

Quote:
“I think it’s unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair,” Heloïse said.
Gentlemen, he said I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards.
Post liked by
Old December 8th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Registered Beer User

Likes Given: 7,699
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future

Google's been goofy for awhile. They changed algorithms or something, I vaguely remember there were news articles about it a few months ago. They said too many false sites were gaming the search results and the new methods would De-emphasize those. I think all they did was screw it up for the masses.

By the way, if you want the @ notification to work, have no space between the @ and the username, like this: [MENTION=102]American Horse[/MENTION]
Old December 8th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Registered Beer User

Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Horse View Post
Take a name search:
I type in Camille Paglia and before this recent problem I’d get her latest published works, a Wiki bio link, etc.
Just for laughs I did this same search. Here's a screengrab of what I got. (Click to get large image):

I use firefox 17.
Old December 9th, 2012, 01:47 PM
TRIBUNUS ANGUSTICLAVIUS

Liked 297 in 258 Posts
American Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to allAmerican Horse is a name known to all

[MENTION=28]Midnight Marauder[/MENTION], It seems that IE-8, after November 15 is no longer supported by Google APPS, and the search results at the bottom are a result of that.

The reason for that result is that when a new Internet Explorer is brought on-line by an OS, support for the third oldest is discontinued, at least by Google Apps.

I just tried IE-10 (the newest from Windows) for about four days, refining it, and tooling it up but it lacked too much that I like; for instance it isn't able to show videos from C-SPAN, because it lacks an MP-4 driver, and I failed loadng the driver, but each time something different was downloaded so I gave up and did a system restore back to before I went with IE-10, to IE-8.

MM, I tried FireFox for a few days once and found it lacking, though it may have been improved. Try this C-Span video to see if it works on your FF-17, please.

C-SPAN VIDEO

Visit My Album

Last edited by American Horse; December 9th, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old December 9th, 2012, 03:14 PM
€COM#1

Likes Given: 766
Liked 1,830 in 1,624 Posts
moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future

Works just fine with my FF17. As well as with my Chrome. And my Opera.

I wouldn't touch IE with a ten foot pole, so I can't help you there.
Post liked by
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Registered Beer User

It worked just fine AH... No clue why you would think you need a mp4 driver when the video is a embedded flash object, just like the YT videos when they are embedded here. It's shockwave flash you need.

Staying married to IE is harder and harder these days. I haven't used it since at least 2003.
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:55 PM
TRIBUNUS ANGUSTICLAVIUS

Liked 297 in 258 Posts

Because that was the notification I got with IE-10; otherwise YT vids, like you say worked ok, but the C-Span vids turned "dark" when I clicked to start and I got a notice stating that with my IE-10 internet explorer I needed a flash drive that was missing in that version and needed an add-on.

I asked because, for whatever the reason, C-SPAN vids were not functioning and YT vids were, and it might be the case with FF-17 in the case of C-Span if I went to FF; not knowing if you ever watched C-Span vids or not I asked the question.

[MENTION=3393]moomin[/MENTION], just asking, what is the reason you wouldn't touch Windows Internet Explorers with a ten foot pole? Have you ever tried one? I did try a FireFox version back earlier, maybe 2008, and didn't like it as well and went back to IE-7 at the time because for me it was more complete.

Visit My Album

Last edited by American Horse; December 9th, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Because that was the notification I got with IE-10; otherwise YT vids, like you say worked ok, but the C-Span vids turned "dark" when I clicked to start and I got a notice stating that with my IE-10 internet explorer I needed a flash drive that was missing in that version and needed an add-on.

I asked because, for whatever the reason, C-SPAN vids were not functioning and YT vids were, and it might be the case with FF-17 in the case of C-Span if I went to FF; not knowing if you ever watched C-Span vids or not I asked the question.
Flash videos are flash videos no matter what site they're embedded on. It's possible that C-SPAN has a earlier version of flash supported, although my flash is up to date and I had no trouble with their video. So you might have the old version or, your version of it was corrupted in the switch to IE10. Flash is not mp4.... Flash is flash. Here's where you go to get the latest version free: Adobe - Install a different version of Adobe Flash Player

Quote:
moomin - just asking, what is the reason you wouldn't touch Windows Internet Explorers with a ten foot pole? Have you ever tried one? I did try a FireFox version back earlier, maybe 2008, and didn't like it as well and went back to IE-7 at the time because for me it was more complete.
I can answer that one for you. IE is and always has been, crap for security. It's a advert delivery device that also happens to (sort of) let you browse the web. Its main function is to deliver advert content to you. Browsing is secondary. Same with Chrome.

Almost every feature it now has that you like, came from Firefox - it's windows trying to keep up. Tabbed browsing, every feature you like, Firefox had first.

90% of every virus, trojan, hack, malware, adware and all the other bad crap that infects windows computers, comes into the registry through IE.

I have no idea what trouble you had with firefox, it's about the most user friendly and secure browser out there and has been for years. It's open source developed, meaning it's freeware and independent of any company. Mozilla works every day to make sure it is secure and high-function.

I am thinking you simply, didn't give it much chance.
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Dude...

On further examination of your screenshot there, I missed the obvious - your computer is INFECTED by the "My Web Search" trojan!

Look at the google logo.... It says "mywebsearch powered by google" right there! It should NEVER have anything like that on it....

Look at mine, look at yours.

At some point, somewhere, you permissioned the "My Web Search" toolbar, and it's nothing but adware. It has taken over your registry. It's not even sending you to the real google - it's sending you to it's own advert page!

Get rid of it and clean your registry. THIS was what myself and [MENTION=3393]moomin[/MENTION] were trying to tell you, about IE.

Fix it following the instructions here:

How to remove MyWebSearch adware (Uninstall guide)

Use this free utility to clean the rest of the crap out of your computer as well:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/f...s/stinger.aspx