free hit counter
Idle thoughts: The end of motorcycles. - Page 2 - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Science and Technology Developments that shape how we live our lives

Old October 24th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomin View Post
Why shouldn't they? I mean, if the state of the art ever becomes better on average than human drivers, then there's a crapload of efficiency bonuses for eliminating drivers.
Right now and for the foreseeable future, you still need a human driver to monitor the machine. Until you can get the tech to full autonomy, what are we really talking about?

We're not there yet and not near it.
Old October 24th, 2016, 04:10 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

Likes Given: 153
Liked 2,313 in 1,940 Posts
walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Marauder View Post
Exactly. But let's not conflate this, comparing shit like same sex marriage to automotive technology. They simply cannot get anything like mandating driverless autos passed, even long after the tech is capable. Which at this time, it is not.
And the fact that rear view cameras will be mandatory on all cars sold in the US after 2017? Not optional, required. As a safety measure. Do not underestimate the coming tsunami of regulation coming from our un-elected rulers, the bureaucracy, the action arm of the Democrat party.

Quote:
“I think it’s unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair,” Heloïse said.
Gentlemen, he said I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards.
Old October 24th, 2016, 04:14 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future

Quote:
Right now and for the foreseeable future, you still need a human driver to monitor the machine. Until you can get the tech to full autonomy, what are we really talking about?

We're not there yet and not near it.
You don't really NEED a monitor. The technological advance will put a rest to that sop to human reticence. What matters most is the need take another freedom away from people in the name of security.

Quote:
“I think it’s unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair,” Heloïse said.
Old October 24th, 2016, 05:48 PM
€COM#1

Likes Given: 766
Liked 1,827 in 1,621 Posts
moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future

Or efficiency. Now MM lives out in the boonies where car driving amounts to avoiding the potholes and occasionally looking at another car on the horizon, but for city dwellers, the thought of a central traffic routing system that manages cars as efficiently as internet routers manage packets is downright orgasmic.
Old October 25th, 2016, 02:14 AM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Or efficiency. Now MM lives out in the boonies where car driving amounts to avoiding the potholes and occasionally looking at another car on the horizon, but for city dwellers, the thought of a central traffic routing system that manages cars as efficiently as internet routers manage packets is downright orgasmic.
We're not anywhere near that yet however. This shit is in its infancy.
Old October 25th, 2016, 02:16 AM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walruskkkch View Post
And the fact that rear view cameras will be mandatory on all cars sold in the US after 2017? Not optional, required. As a safety measure. Do not underestimate the coming tsunami of regulation coming from our un-elected rulers, the bureaucracy, the action arm of the Democrat party.
Rear view cameras are great. Shouldn't be required though - the market would demand them as surely as it demanded LED lightbulbs over the required swirly Obamabulbs. You can't even buy those at wal-mart by the way, everything's already LED. The free market won that debate.
Old October 25th, 2016, 12:17 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

Quote:
But the grow up so fast these days, don't they?

Quote:
Old October 25th, 2016, 04:25 PM
€COM#1

Likes Given: 766
Liked 1,827 in 1,621 Posts
moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah, but so was voice recognition not all that many years ago. Stuff advances inexorably. This is a hard problem, but the economic incentives to address it are yuuge.
Old October 25th, 2016, 04:49 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

How soon it comes about is irrelevant. What matters is starting the fight now not to have the government not dictate your freedom to operate a motor vehicle if you choose to do so. Choice, doesn't the left make a fetish of it?

Quote:
Old October 25th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Yeah, but so was voice recognition not all that many years ago. Stuff advances inexorably. This is a hard problem, but the economic incentives to address it are yuuge.
Voice recognition still isn't where its potential ultimately takes it, and not even close to it yet. And although tech advances exponentially, the chasm it has to cross isn't without great significance.
Quote:
How soon it comes about is irrelevant. What matters is starting the fight now not to have the government not dictate your freedom to operate a motor vehicle if you choose to do so. Choice, doesn't the left make a fetish of it?
"starting the fight now" against something that's just a supposition, and isn't even a issue yet?