free hit counter
Smoke pot, kill the Earth - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Science and Technology Developments that shape how we live our lives

Old December 8th, 2015, 05:48 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

Likes Given: 153
Liked 2,313 in 1,940 Posts
walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future
Default Smoke pot, kill the Earth

What is a good liberal to do?

Quote:
Cannabis Growers Pressure the Grid

Utilities and grid operators worry about the impacts that energy-hogging marijuana will bring to their grids, and are excited about the profits they’ll bring to their bottom line.

The issue is pressing enough that it got its own session – “The Straight Dope on Energy & the Marijuana Industry” – at the Nov. 11 annual meeting of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners in Austin, Texas.

Attendees learned that Xcel Energy, which serves most of urban Colorado, sells some 300 gigawatt hours of electricity to pot growers per year, or enough to power some 35,000 homes. The U.S. marijuana-growing industry could soon buy as much as $11 billion per year in electricity.

One study estimates that it takes as much energy to produce 18 pints of beer as it does just one joint. The data are alarming, and will only get more so as legalization spreads.

Back in 2011, a California energy and environmental systems analyst, Evan Mills, published a paper quantifying the carbon footprint of indoor cannabis production. That footprint, he discovered, was huge. His findings included:

While the U.S. pharmaceutical sector uses $1 billion/year in energy, indoor cannabis cultivation uses $6 billion.

Indoor cannabis production consumes 3 percent of California’s total electricity, 9 percent of its household electricity and 1 percent of total U.S. electricity (equivalent to 2 million U.S. homes per year).

U.S. cannabis production results in 15 million tons of greenhouse-gas emissions per year, or the same as emitted by 3 million cars.

Quote:
“I think it’s unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair,” Heloïse said.
Gentlemen, he said I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards.
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:17 PM
€COM#1

Likes Given: 766
Liked 1,827 in 1,621 Posts
moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future

I foresee a bull market in gaia indulgences. Or carbon offsets, or whatever.
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:46 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

Those stats are amazing. Just like rice is one of the worst foodstuffs for the planet we grow, looks like Mary Jane is giving it a run for the title.
Old December 8th, 2015, 10:06 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

One of my Liberal FB friends said, "Quite a bit of energy but paltry compared to a pound of beef."

I about fell out of my chair on that one. It REALLY takes more than 300 million kilowatts per hour to make a pound of beef?

Old December 8th, 2015, 11:21 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future

I'm sure there is some made up number to support that contention. I know they figured a carbon footprint for the slaughter, dressing, processing, transport, storage and eventual cooking but I never saw anything about energy usage for the, "growing?" of the beef.

Quote:
“I think it’s unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair,” Heloïse said.
Old December 9th, 2015, 12:45 AM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walruskkkch View Post
I'm sure there is some made up number to support that contention. I know they figured a carbon footprint for the slaughter, dressing, processing, transport, storage and eventual cooking but I never saw anything about energy usage for the, "growing?" of the beef.
I was able to find 32 KWH per pound of beef. On some vegan crap site. LONG way from 300 million KWH. But, since when did facts matter to Libs? Or even math, for that matter.
Old December 9th, 2015, 01:04 AM
They call me MR. Kitty

32 KWH per Pound?

Let us go to the math!

"In 2013, American meat companies produced:
25.8 billion pounds of beef"

Source

25,800,000,000 x 32 = 825,600,000,000KWH

Total KWH produced in the US in one year 4.1127 Trillion or 4.1127 Terawatts

so all beef, and only beef, takes up 25% of total US energy production in a year?

My math may be off, so I will with hold calling it bogus but one single industry using that much? I'm having trouble with this.

Quote:
Old December 9th, 2015, 01:13 AM
Registered Beer User

Problem is you applied real math, not the fuzzy "core curriculum" math they're teaching our kids today.
Old December 9th, 2015, 03:11 AM
€COM#1

Likes Given: 766
Liked 1,827 in 1,621 Posts
moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future

Gentlemen, step away from that math stet, please. I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.

25% sounds a wee bit ott, doesn't it?

On the other hand, if the energy figure for MJ is correct, I guess we've finally found the real world base for the street price.
Old January 4th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Tetris Champion Tetris 2 Champion Speedy Thief Champion

Likes Given: 193
Liked 257 in 198 Posts
masterminion is a splendid one to beholdmasterminion is a splendid one to beholdmasterminion is a splendid one to beholdmasterminion is a splendid one to beholdmasterminion is a splendid one to beholdmasterminion is a splendid one to beholdmasterminion is a splendid one to beholdmasterminion is a splendid one to beholdmasterminion is a splendid one to beholdmasterminion is a splendid one to beholdmasterminion is a splendid one to behold

What we obviously need then, is for all state, local, and federal governments, to step in and slap another bunch of hefty taxes on pot. It always seems to work.
And tore the world assunder.